Getting Kids to Eat Healthy

The Challenge

Just the other day, I saw that Dr. Lynne Kenney had posted about her family taking the whole food challenge.  I looked a little closer into it and I figured...yep...it sounds like a good thing to try.  Don't get me wrong, we try to eat healthy at our house.  The kids were raised eating fruits and vegetables and every single one of them loves salads.  But, it's clear to me that we could up our nutritional status by trying to eliminate processed/refined foods.  It isn't always easy, especially since we are on the road a lot. But we are trying.

Today's Discovery

As part of our lunch today, we had fruit salad.  It contained blackberries, apples, grapes and blueberries (what I happened to have on hand).  I asked my three kids, ages 17, 14 and 12, "Which is better, fruit snacks (which I admittedly buy on occasion) or this fruit salad?"  The fruit salad won hands down!  I reminded them that taking this journey with whole foods it tasty...and they will have more energy, more focus (they love sports) and think more clearly with whole foods.  They liked that idea.

Not So Easy

My 17-year-old already eats this way (chia seeds included..no lie) so it wasn't a stretch for him.  The 12 and 14-year-olds, however, are struggling a bit more. The first things out of their mouths, "I'm not giving up chips.  Really?  Serious, mom, we can still have 'processed cheese puff crunchers', right?" 

After a couple of days into our whole foods journey (I still have TONS to learn), I think I'm making some headway.  Here was the concession from my 12-year-old today: "Okay, let's do this thing for 30 days.  When it's over, can we have some Nutter Butter cookies?" 

My plan is for us to discover some "goodies" that are nutritious, healthy and so tasty, that they would trump Nutter Butters.  Sorry, oh company that shall not be named!

What About You?

Are you already eating whole foods at your house?  If so, how is it going?  Are you totally "whole foods" (i.e., making your own ketchup, sauces, etc.) or do you do a modified version?

Are you ready to take the challenge?  Could your family's eating habits use a little makeover, or maybe just a bit of tweaking?  We'd love to hear from you! 

Please weigh in below!

Also, Dr. Lynne Kenney and I have been keeping in touch via twitter and facebook about our journey.  In the evenings, we often put a tweet out about what we had for dinner.  Sometimes we even upload a twitpic of it!  Please join us there, if you'd like!

@DrLynneKenney

@Kidlutions

Also, join us on our BRAND new Pinterest board "Whole Foods". If you are joining in the "whole foods" way of eating, please feel free to upload recipes and or pics of things you create at home!  Just drop me a line and I'll add you to our list of "administrators" for that board, and you can pin away and share all of your healthy greatness with the rest of us!  xoxoxoxoxo ~ We love to share at Kidlutions!


Try the fruit salad/fruit snack challenge with your children.  No, I didn't offer fruit snacks as a taste-test comparsion, I just told my kids, "You already know what fruit snacks taste like.  Now think about that and try the fruit salad.  Which is better?"
 
Let us know what your kids come up with!  You might be surprised!

Comments

naomi said…
My children are very used to eating fruit - my challenge is to eat a more varied diet of veg. Good idea as many home dont offer fruit as a snack or after a meal.
Hi Naomi,

Yes, it can be a struggle. But never give up on introducing new veggies and foods!

Wendy =)

Popular Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...